Due to exceptionally quick advances in online technology and its myriad applications such as online social media activity, fake news, misinformation campaigns, trolling and all manner of negative influences, its destructive influence cannot be regulated away. They require dedicated capabilities that can track and analyse online narratives and respond to them in real-time.
In response to emerging internal and external threats to socio-political cohesion in South Africa, the Centre for Analytics and Behavioural Change (CABC) has been working closely with a range of partner organisations to seed and build competencies that can play a central role in countering online polarisation, divisive rhetoric and narrative manipulation, and help build healthy online communities that can better understand and act upon key social and political matters.
Our programmes use a blend of advanced social media analytics and research, media attention, support, engagement, dialogue and advocacy. Through technological advancements in cutting-edge social media analytics it has become possible to quickly, and at scale, identify people who share certain interests and values, including both progressive and anti-social stances on any thematic domain. We are able to engage, empower and amplify these progressive voices. Our programmes have the power to reach millions of people at unprecedented scale.
We have devised multi-year programmes that cover a wide range of social prejudice and other issues of current concern. These include:
- Racism and ethnic prejudice
- Public health – all preventable and communicable diseases including HIV/AIDS and Covid 19
- Climate Change denialism
- Climate & Energy Sustainability
- Narrative Manipulation
- Misogyny and Gender Based Violence
- Homophobia & LGBTQI human rights issues
- Road Safety
- Responsible Drinking
- Absent fathers
- Forecasting: developing anticipatory capabilities to predict, detect and mitigate episodes of xenophobic, election, taxi related, service delivery related and other forms of violence.
- Providing analytics that may support (for example) potential suicide cases, GBV survivors through social media-based analytics and response.
If you’d like to find out more or support our programmes, please contact us for more details: email@example.com